Q. What is the treatment for hyperpigmentation on cheeks and forehead that reoccur, once tablets are stopped?

Dr. Dilip Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I have hyperpigmentation on cheeks and forehead and have spots on it. I took medications for it before and when I stopped taking it, the condition came back. Why do they occur? I am attaching the photographs. Can you please provide me with internal treatments. Kindly help.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

This condition can be melasma. Melasma is a hyperpigmentation disorder characterized by dark patches over cheeks, nose, forehead, and rarely on hands. It usually happens due to some hormonal causes and can get worse with sun exposure. The treatment is based on reducing the pigmentation and preventing further pigmentation. Treatment is given for four weeks initially. So it is advisable to follow up after four weeks. Please do not continue treatment after four weeks without a doctor's consultation.

I suggest you take the following medication.

1. Melalite forte cream (Hydroquinone) for local application on spots at night.

2. Aziderm 20% cream (Azelaic acid) for local application on spots in the morning.

3. Photostable gold gel apply all over the face before going out in the sun once in the morning. Apply it 30 minutes after the Aziderm 20% cream application without washing Aziderm.

4. Tablet Limcee (Vitamin C) once a day after breakfast.

I suggest reviewing after four weeks. If you have any doubt, kindly revert.

Thank you for the reply.

I need some oral tablets. Do they have any side effects? Should I avoid any food items when I am on treatment? If I stop the treatment after four weeks, will it increase? If the cream you suggested has any side effects like itching, what can I do? Could you suggest some anti-aging and wrinkle-free cream? Can I apply anti-aging cream with this treatment?

Thanks.

#

The oral medicine I suggested above is Tablet Limcee (Vitamin C). It does not have many side effects, if taken once a day. There is no need to avoid any food while taking these medicines. I suggest you consult after four weeks. Change of medication can be suggested accordingly. Stopping abruptly might lead to recurrence. If irritation or itching due to cream is too much, I suggest you withhold it for two to three days and apply only sunscreen and any moisturizer. I suggest you use Epilyno lotion as an anti-aging cream and moisturizer with this treatment.

|