Q. I have melasma on my face for the last 16 years. Why does not any cream help?

Dr. Subhash Kashyap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2021

I have pigmentation with dark spots and melasma on my face for the past 16 years. I have taken a lot of medication and consulted many dermatologists. But there is no relief. My past medications are Claripex, Dermaclean, Cybele scagel, Sangobian, Evion, Glutamax, Colophylum, Lycopodium, and much more. I have used many creams to get cured. But they did not help me.

#

Melasma occurs due to the sensitivity of dark color-producing cells called melanocytes in the skin. In some cases, some of the cells present in the affected area become more sensitive to the sun and they produce more pigments. The reason behind it is not clear. Avoid having sunlight and ultraviolet light on the skin. It is good to use sunscreen with an SPF (sun protection factor) of 45 for white skin and an SPF of 25 for brown skin. It has to be used every three hours on the affected area. Wash the affected area at bedtime with a demelanizing facewash. At bedtime, you can use a cream containing Mometasone, Tretinoin, and Hydroquinone 2% on the dark areas alone. Do not use this cream for more than three weeks. If melasma remains resistant even after taking treatment, then it is good to do chemical peels. I suggest you start using Glycolic acid peels.

|