Q. How to get rid of melasma?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 28 year old male. I am having melasma over the last eight years. I am using Lookbrite cream at night and Melalite and Dermadew lotion in the morning with Suncros sunscreen SPF 26. But when I stop using it, the melasma increases. It becomes more darken on cheeks and nose. Please suggest any medicine to get rid of these ugly spots.

#

I have read your question and understood your concern.

Melasma can relapse. Therefore, you must continue with a maintenance regime once your melasma clears.

I suggest you to use a higher SPF sunscreen like Sebamed sunscreen SPF 50+. In addition I would suggest you to use Aziderm 20% gel (Azelaic acid) twice daily for dark spots.

In morning use Aziderm after washing face and after 30 minutes, apply sunscreen over it. At night apply Aziderm and leave it overnight.

Aziderm is slower acting, but it is safe. It can also be used for maintenance therapy.

Melalite (Hydroquinone) and Lookbrite (combination of Hydroquinone, Tretinoin and Mometasone furoate) are steroid based creams and cannot be used for more than a month as they can have side effects.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

The creams which I mentioned above were used two years back. Now 15 days ago I visited a dermatologist. He gave an injection on dark spots and prescribed me Kojivit gel. Can I use this? Will it be effective?

#

Yes, (Kojic acid) Kojivit gel is fine. You can try that.

|