Q. Can a psychiatrist help with my memory loss?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

I feel like I am in a constant brain fog state. I have terrible social anxiety as I cannot remember anything to talk about. This has kept me from truly pursuing anything. I do not want to look stupid. In school, I usually zone out and often forget the names of people who I already met. So, I introduce myself a second time and get a weird look. I did have seizures as an infant. I could not able to make friends or find interest as I cannot remember much. So, I am extremely quiet. Can a psychiatrist help with my memory loss?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• Yes, a psychiatrist can help with memory loss.
  • First of all considering your age, the memory loss you have is not due to organic causes. But, most likely due to poor focus and concentration, which in turn due to social anxiety and depression.
  • Brain fog like state and severe social anxiety result in reduced focus and thus you find difficulties, which further increase your anxiety. So, taking treatment for severe social anxiety will decrease your symptoms.
  • Medicines like beta blockers can be used for severe social anxiety provoking situations and can be used on the SOS basis (as and when necessary).
  • SSRIs - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors can be used for regular use, if symptoms persist. The drugs will improve the focus and you will see improvement. Consult a psychiatrist in person for physical evaluation and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|