Q. Please suggest a permanent cure for Meniere's disease.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

My mother has Meniere's disease. What could possibly stop attacks of headaches and head spinning? She is currently taking Vertin tablet whenever she gets an attack.

#

• I suggest taking Vertin (Betahistine) 16 mg, twice daily regularly for two weeks. I want the following details:
  1. Does she have any hypertension or hearing loss?
  2. Has she decreased the salt intake?
  3. Any ringing in the ears?
  • Get a pure tone audiometry done and send me the reports.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you for the reply. Yes, there is ringing in ears and hearing loss since long. Is this a permanent disease? Vertin only gives her temporary relief. What is the permanent solution?

#

• There are options for surgery only if medical management does not work. It is a treatable disease, but curable with surgery. I suggest tablet Cinnarizine and tablet vitamin B12, once daily.

Any further questions are always welcome. Regards.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|