Q. I am just 19 years old and have symptoms of menopause. Please help.

Dr. Vidya
Published on Sep 19, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

I am a 19 year old girl and my symptoms are as listed:

• No period since 13 months.
  • Burning sensation on my cheeks, ears, neck and upper chest area.
  • Dry skin in/around my pubic region.
  • Achy all over.
  • Cramps similar to period cramps.
  • Tingling feeling in my hands, legs, and chest.
  • Mood swings.
  • Trouble in sleeping/no peaceful sleep.
  • Trouble in controlling my bladder.
  • Feeling tired/drained and weak for 10 to 15 minutes every now and then.
  • Severe migraine.
  • Loss of concentration and sometimes nausea.

Due to these issues, I have been concerned that I may be going through menopause. My mother is going through it and from what she told me, it sounds similar. I know for a fact that I am not pregnant because I have not had sex in over a year and a half. Is it possible that it is menopause? Is there something else wrong with me? Am I just worrying over nothing?

Dr. Vidya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The symptoms you have described are most likely due to a hormonal imbalance. I would not term it to be a premature menopause. You are too young for menopause to occur.

It seems like anemia or vitamin deficiency which is causing the problems. It could be related to thyroid disorder as well.

You may need to undergo an ultrasound abdomen scan. Also, a complete blood count, thyroid profile, serum prolactin, follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and LH (luteinizing hormone), renal and liver function tests (LFT) would be needed to find out the cause.

Once we find the cause it would be easy for us to treat. Till then stop worrying and things would be fine.

How to identify the reason for palpitations?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from heart palpitations. Also, I have occasional breathlessness. For a while, I used Propranolol. But, it did not work. So, the doctor asked me to do a thyroid test and the result was normal. I do not know what to do. Please help  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Palpitations can be out of two types. Sinus arrhythmia (only fast heart rate, but rhythm is normal) and this is not to be worried. Arrhythmias - There are many types of arrhythmias, some are atrial in origin and some are ventricular in origin. If your thyroid...  Read Full

Is it advisable to go for copper-T for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think the doctor has advised copper-T. I think she would have advised intrauterine hormonal device called LNG (Levonorgestrel) which contains hormone progesterone. It will regularise the cycles and control heavy flow and need not take oral medicines. It is up ...  Read Full

Can thyroid problem cause excessive hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I have thyroid issues for the past three years. I got this when I was pregnant. I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg tablet for the last three months. Recently, I have done the thyroid test and my T3 and T4 are normal and TSH is very low. It shows less than 0.01. What does it indicate? First, I w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This appears to be due to over treatment or iatrogenic hyperthyroidism. Here is a list of symptoms experienced due to over treatment. They are tachycardia, palpitations, nervousness, tiredness, headache, excitability, sleeplessness, tremors, anxiety and heat intolerance. ...  Read Full