Q. I am just 19 years old and have symptoms of menopause. Please help.

Dr. Vidya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am a 19 year old girl and my symptoms are as listed:

• No period since 13 months.
  • Burning sensation on my cheeks, ears, neck and upper chest area.
  • Dry skin in/around my pubic region.
  • Achy all over.
  • Cramps similar to period cramps.
  • Tingling feeling in my hands, legs, and chest.
  • Mood swings.
  • Trouble in sleeping/no peaceful sleep.
  • Trouble in controlling my bladder.
  • Feeling tired/drained and weak for 10 to 15 minutes every now and then.
  • Severe migraine.
  • Loss of concentration and sometimes nausea.

Due to these issues, I have been concerned that I may be going through menopause. My mother is going through it and from what she told me, it sounds similar. I know for a fact that I am not pregnant because I have not had sex in over a year and a half. Is it possible that it is menopause? Is there something else wrong with me? Am I just worrying over nothing?

#

The symptoms you have described are most likely due to a hormonal imbalance. I would not term it to be a premature menopause. You are too young for menopause to occur.

It seems like anemia or vitamin deficiency which is causing the problems. It could be related to thyroid disorder as well.

You may need to undergo an ultrasound abdomen scan. Also, a complete blood count, thyroid profile, serum prolactin, follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and LH (luteinizing hormone), renal and liver function tests (LFT) would be needed to find out the cause.

Once we find the cause it would be easy for us to treat. Till then stop worrying and things would be fine.

|