Q. Can male menopause cause propensity towards sexual adventures outside marriage?

Answered by Dr. Raveendran Sr and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Male Menopause or Sexual Adventures? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 57-year-old male. Happily married since the last 26 years to a very loving and caring lady. We have an equally loving daughter. We are a religious family, well settled, financially, socially and professionally, and by the grace of God, have no significant issues in life. My wife and I enjoy normal sexual activity, with the usual ups and downs, due to age and mood.

I can confidently say that I am a one women man, and till date have not had any extra marital encounters. I am heterosexual and do not have any sexual deviations. Personality wise, I am an introvert and have a minor speech defect. I am well respected at my workplace, where I interact with female coworkers. I do occasionally indulge in sexually explicit clips, which I receive on social media, but I am not overly obsessed with them. However, lately, I have noticed a propensity towards sexual (mis)adventures, outside marriage, which is a cause of concern for my wife, who is also aware of this and we are very upset.

I am very much aware and realize the devastating effect this can have on my life, and especially on my family, which I treasure more than anything in this world. Hence I am taking all possible measures to understand and counter this urge.

My question is, whether this is progressive? Is this a manifestation of male menopause? I also feel, that, being an introvert, I have this huge desire to become an extrovert, and hence end up doing something illogical. I gave smoking three years ago, do not drink. But sometimes I drink, because, I feel, it helps me become an extrovert. In your expert opinion, what remedial measures should I take to control these urges? And do I need medications, to help me control these urges?