Q. Is the fact menorrhagia leads to anemia true?

Hi doctor,Person who suffers from menorrhagia (heavy bleeding during period) is at higher risk of anemia.

• Is this true? Is there any basis to this claim?
  • What if you are already anemic and suffering from menorrhagia?
  • What complications are associated with the same?
  • What precautions should one take if suffering from iron deficiency anemia?

Please give me some tips to keep me healthy during my periods.

#

It is common for a woman to experience blood loss of 60-80 ml per menstrual cycle. In cases of menorrhagia the blood loss is heavier and in the form of clots or in terms of using more than 6-7 sanitary napkins daily during menses.

Menorrhagia easily leads to anemia over a period of time if it has been chronic and has not been investigated and controlled or treated.

Reasons for menorrhagia can be many, but most common being progesterone deficiency in reproductive age group. This can be easily diagnosed with a day 21 serum progesterone test and can be dealt accordingly with cyclical progesterone.

If you are already anemic and have ongoing menorrhagia then likely that you would become further anemic if you have not been taking iron supplements and adequate green vegetables and salads in your diet maintaining the iron balance.

A level of hemoglobin less than 7 g% is severe anemia in women, any levels less than 10.5 g% is termed as anemia.

For preventing anemia, you must take green leafy vegetables in your diet and salads which are rich in iron and keep yourself well hydrated. Also take plenty of citrus fruits especially rich in vitamin C, which helps in absorption of iron in the body and promotes red blood cell production and increases hemoglobin and keeps healthy periods.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Why am I bleeding heavily, six weeks after delivery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently (almost) 6 weeks postpartum. I had sex at 4 weeks of postpartum and I got the Nexplanon inserted a couple of days before that. My doctor checked to see whether my uterus was still up high and it was not. Also, I did not have any tearing during birth. My bleeding stopped at ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»