Q. Does lack of periods due to high prolactin level damage general health?

Dr. Nadia Khan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 27, 2019

I am a 35-year-old female. My weight is 91, and I have three children. I am not having my menstrual period for the past four years. After running some tests, doctors confirmed it is high prolactin, and gave me drugs, but it did not help. I want to find out if there going to be any damages to my health because of this? What can I do?

Dr. Nadia Khan

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It points out that you had early menopause, which occurs in 5 to 10 percent of women at age less than 40 years of age. And yes it has adverse effects same just like menopause in another woman at the usual age. So you must consult your local doctor and get a prescription for HRT (hormonal replacement therapy) which will result in monthly cycles as well as protect you from developing early osteoporosis. You have to continue taking it until the natural age of menopause. I hope it has helped you. If you require any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Can unprotected sex on third day of period cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had unprotected sex on the third day of her period. I did not ejaculate inside her. And she also has the history of an irregular period but from the past three months, she is getting her regular period. I just want to know what are the chances of pregnancy.  Read Full »

Whom should I consult for my daughter's high prolactin?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter's prolactin is 238. What is the cause behind this? Whom should I consult for this? What is the further treatment? There is no headache or stress. She had some periods problem before and now she is fine with that. Please help.  Read Full »

I am in my 30s and I have PCOS and a high prolactin level. Can I get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female. I have PCOS, high prolactin level, my TSH is 4.26 for which I am taking medicine and for prolactin and my AMH is 17. I got pregnant with twins when I was taking 100 mg of Clomid but there was no heartbeat by week 10. I had a few miscarriages two years ago a...  Read Full »