Q. Lately, I am unable to think and talk clearly. What could be the reason?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am a 20 year old male. I have had speech difficulties since I was a kid. Now, it has progressed, and it is hard to say what I am thinking. I tend to have slow speech and thinking. Of late, it has been getting worse. I have to carefully think of what to say when I talk. I feel like my mouth cannot connect to my brain. I know exactly what I want to say, but when I actually try to say it, it comes out slow and unclear.

My relationship with my dad is deteriorating due to this. I seem distant and absent. When he tries to talk to me, I find it hard to pay attention and it has caused me to be completely quiet. I find isolation to be relaxing. I hate this personality of mine because it can cause an anger outburst as I cannot express myself clearly. All this terrifies me. I am not sure if it is Asperger syndrome or because of head trauma. Please help me. I am not sure who I am anymore. I do not have a defined personality. I weigh 260 pounds. I work 50 plus hours a week. I am a very hard worker. I recently got health insurance at work. I played football for four years. I believe that I have a mental disorder and would appreciate help in identifying what it could be.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern.

  • I do not think it is Asperger syndrome. You are facing progressive difficulty in talking to some people, especially with your dad. You have mentioned that there is slowness of speech and you are not able to express what you want to speak. This could be due to some underlying anxiety. Anxiety can cause a loss of focus, poor attention and symptoms like the ones you are experiencing.
  • Since you have insurance, I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist for evaluation of the symptoms. Your specialist will prescribe drugs like Fluoxetine or Fluvoxamine to treat you.
  • Even behavior therapy and relaxation exercises can control the symptoms and will make your speech normal.

So please talk to a psychiatrist for treatment of the symptoms. Take care.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can anxiety and stress cause frequent urination?

I use to get those episodes every few months when I had stress but since I got the fear it might never go away I get it almost daily now ... Can anxiety cause polyuria like this clear urine when I am stressed ...   Read full

Can Fluoxetine cause disturbed sleep?

Hi doctor, I am very sad, surrounded by negative thoughts and anxiety ...   Read full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

that worsens with life stressors with the occurrence of negative life events ... stress of GAD ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Missed Miscarriage - An Overview
Sometimes a miscarriage occurs without knowledge, as typical signs may be absent. This is called a missed miscarriage. L...  Read more»
H3N2v Influenza - Treatment and Prevention
Management and prevention of an Influenza A virus variant include various treatment options and measures. The below arti...  Read more»
Flu A - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
The flu, or influenza, is a contagious viral infection that attacks the respiratory system. Flu A and B viruses are resp...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.