HomeAnswersPsychiatrymental traumaI am scared that my family might learn about my bad past. How do I overcome this fear?

How can someone overcome thoughts about an undesirable past?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 11, 2022
Reviewed AtSeptember 26, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had done some bad things when I was 18 years old. Now, it is haunting me. I fear that all that will be leaked on the internet, and my husband and family will come to know about it. I want to delete it from my brain and not think about it anymore. How?

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Ruhi Satija


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I can understand what you are going through. When you are trying to forget something undesirable from the past, the first thing you need to do is vent it out. Either talk about it to someone you can trust, or you can write it on paper and then burn it, or maybe when you are alone, just try to talk to yourself. Next, you need to forgive yourself and let go. This part is tough. If you cannot do it yourself, I suggest you talk to a therapist. There is a technique through which you can reduce the intensity of these thoughts and feelings in your mind so that it does not bother you anymore. Emotional freedom techniques and cognitive modulation can help. These involve only talking and are not invasive procedures.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ruhi Satija
Dr. Ruhi Satija


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy