Methamphetamine

Will meth interfere with anesthesia that is given before surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a surgery for rolando fracture tomorrow morning. I am a bit worried about this. I was given meth during a dance festival, day before yesterday evening. I went and got a drug test just to make sure and have been up since then and am hoping I can fall asleep at least a few hours...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Meth intake might cause interactions with anaesthetic medicines which require to be given during surgery. It is never safe and might cause adverse effects during and after anesthesia. Usually pa...  Read Full »

Why are there redness, swelling and pain in the arm after popping a blister in a Meth addict?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 36 years old. He is fit and healthy, rarely gets sick. But he is a Meth addict. He missed the vein when injecting in top part of his wrist. The injection site looks like a small ant bite. It formed a water blister that he popped and put Neosporin on. But his hand is red,...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This looks like a cellulitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is an infection of subcutaneous tissue. He needs antibiotics and blood test. Convince him for visit. He will need a hemogram test, and blood culture to look for the extent of infection....  Read Full »

Can a breast cancer patient use Methamphetamine while on treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, What complications could arise from breast cancer treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation, hormone therapy) if the patient is secretly using Methamphetamine? Can and should a DR refuse treatment if they know of a patient’s Meth use?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Methamphetamine is CNS stimulant, it can have a lot of own side effects, if the doctor is not aware of drug use, many of the side effects of drugs will be difficult to interpret for doctor, drug use can have interaction with chemo drugs and can increase toxicity of d...  Read Full »

What is the treatment available for adult ADHD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am just curious here. I fully believe I have adult ADHD, and being that I was diagnosed at 11 with it, would this help my case for medication with a psych?  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both adult and childhood ADHD needs to be treated with medicines. Three medicines are the first line drugs used to treat ADHD namely Methamphetamine (Adderal), Methylphenidate (Concerta) and Atomoxetine (Strattera). The former two drugs are more effective in treating hy...  Read Full »

I am a meth smoker. I get severe stomach pain, vomiting almost with any food, and feel lumps in stomach.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a regular meth smoker. I get really bad stomach pain, vomiting almost with any food, and feel lumps in stomach. What should I do? How does smoking meth affect stomach? Does smoking meth cause gastritis?    Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Methamphetamine is a stimulant. Excessive brain stimulation causes hyperactivity of muscles. Because of this, hyperactive muscles can go into spasms and that is the reason you are getting vomiting and feeling lumps. My advise is stay hydrated, drink plenty of water, take...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to quit using meth if I found out I was pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I have secondary dysmenorrhea and have miscarried twice before finding out this time I was pregnant. I have been using meth now. I feel bad and think I am a horrible person. I want to wean off the drug, but part of me is wondering if I quit both times I found out, this time I still us...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. All these drugs such as cocaine, alcohol, methamphetamine have their psychosocial side effect as well as harmful long-term effects on the body. They are just temporary anxiety relieving drugs, not only directly affect brain, bones, reproductive system, mental and phy...  Read Full »

Should I inform the doctor if I have meth in my system when going for a surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male, 6 feet and 150 lbs. I am not on any medication. I have a surgery in five hours and I have meth in my system taken about five hours earlier. Should I cancel the surgery or go to the surgery and tell the doctor?   Read Full »

Dr. Manu Kumar

Anesthesiologist, Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first thing to do is to share this information with your doctor. He will be a better person to decide whether to postpone the surgery or not. If it is not an emergency or an urgent surgery, I would advise my patients to postpone it till the meth is out of the syste...  Read Full »