Q. Is it advisable to use Methamphetamine by a cancer patient while on treatment?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Mar 23, 2019

What complications could arise from breast cancer treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation, hormone therapy) if the patient is secretly using Methamphetamine? Can and should a DR refuse treatment if they know of a patient’s Meth use?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Methamphetamine is CNS stimulant, it can have a lot of own side effects, if the doctor is not aware of drug use, many of the side effects of drugs will be difficult to interpret for doctor, drug use can have interaction with chemo drugs and can increase toxicity of drug or under the effect of drug. It is a personal choice of doctor, he should refuse treatment or not.

How To Detect Breast Cancer?

Article Overview: This article discusses how to detect breast cancer through self-examination and mammogram test. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena
Medical Oncologist

Breast cancer is now emerging as one of the leading causes of death in women. Unfortunately, we do not have any vaccines to prevent it. The lumps may be painless, so patients may delay the visit to the doctor. A breast lump may be benign (simple or innocent) or malignant (cancer). Early Detection I...  Read Article

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

What is the treatment available for adult ADHD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am just curious here. I fully believe I have adult ADHD, and being that I was diagnosed at 11 with it, would this help my case for medication with a psych?  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now