Q. Noticed redness, swelling and pain in the arm after popping a blister in a Meth addict. What to do?

Published on May 22, 2019

My husband is 36 years old. He is fit and healthy, rarely gets sick. But he is a Meth addict. He missed the vein when injecting in top part of his wrist. The injection site looks like a small ant bite. It formed a water blister that he popped and put Neosporin on. But his hand is red, swollen, throbbing and warm. He is in agony. He refuses to go to the ER. Is he in danger of dying? What should I do? How can I treat this?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

This looks like a cellulitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is an infection of subcutaneous tissue. He needs antibiotics and blood test. Convince him for visit. He will need a hemogram test, and blood culture to look for the extent of infection. In treatment, he will need antibiotics like Amoxicillin Clavulanate combination 625 mg three times a day along with some antacid like Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day. For pain and swelling, you can continue Ibuprofen, you can use Magsulf ointment for local application for swelling. He will need higher antibiotics as it appears severe cellulitis. So my advice is to visit ER soon.

I have difficulty in focusing and understanding verbal instructions. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am female, 21 years of age and as weird as this sounds, I always feel like I am so overfocused that I cannot really focus. I am very slow when it comes to verbal communication, it is something I have struggled with ever since I was a child. So when someone is verbally giving me inst...  Read Full »

Please suggest me an antibiotic to get rid of cellulitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from cellulitis in the lower part of the leg from the last 15 days. I had consulted a doctor and he prescribed Clarithromycin 500 mg. The infection was greatly reduced. As soon as I stopped using antibiotic, it became red and pain started again over the part where it was pr...  Read Full »

What is the possible reasons for the leg swelling due to mosquito bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. For four years, my right leg has swollen once in a year in the summer or when I go for agricultural works in mud fields. Initially it starts with fever, vomiting, body pain, chillness and then my leg will change to light red color and the swelling will start....  Read Full »