Q. Will Methamphetamine interfere with the effect of local anesthesia?

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

Does Methamphetamine interfere with local anesthesia? My friend was told she would not have to stop Adderall before surgery. I know that is not the same, but is there anything particularly dangerous about methamphetamine and local anesthesia? What about Phentermine?

#

As such local anesthesia is safe and one can readily go through the procedure. It is recommended to avoid any sort of illicit substances during anesthesia.

I appreciate your response, but it was not in the least bit helpful. I know it is not recommended. That is common knowledge. It is recommended to avoid illicit substances in general.

My question is asking specifically how Methamphetamine can interfere with local anesthesia? I have a friend getting a procedure tomorrow and I think he has been using the same. I want to know if having it in his system will be dangerous? He does not want to ask his doctor.

#

Let me elaborate. Local anesthesia involves injection of local anesthetic with or without Adrenaline. Now the presence of Methamphetamine in blood circulation is known to cause delay in the action of local anesthetic. Thus, the surgical area may take time or may not achieve adequate anesthesia. Also, the presence of adrenaline in local anesthesia in combination with Methamphetamine will cause serious cardiovascular effects like tachycardia, arrhythmias, hypertension and associated effects like cerebral hemorrhage, heart ischemia, etc. Hence it is recommended to avoid Methamphetamine prior to surgery.

Also, Phentermine is a cardiac stimulant that will increase the heart rate and blood pressure similar to above. You better discuss all your drug habits with your treating physician anesthesiologist instead of hiding those.

|