Q. I have a surgery tomorrow morning. I have taken meth. Please advise.

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

• I have a surgery for rolando fracture tomorrow morning.
  • I am a bit worried about this. I was given meth during a dance festival, day before yesterday evening.
  • I went and got a drug test just to make sure and have been up since then and am hoping I can fall asleep at least a few hours tonight.
  • I had quite a crazy first experience but am very ready to be down and have surgery at 10 AM in the morning.
  • I do not want to take any risk, as it is obviously not worth it.
  • It would have been about 18 hours since the last use of meth.
  • At the time of surgery should I tell anesthesiologists about this?
  • Is it safe to undergo surgery? Please advise.
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

• Meth intake might cause interactions with anaesthetic medicines which require to be given during surgery. It is never safe and might cause adverse effects during and after anesthesia.
  • Usually patients are suggested to stop meth at least a week before surgery.
  • In your case, it is important to let your anesthesiologist know that you have been given meth approximately 18 hours before the proposed time of surgery.

Hope this answers your question. 

Consult an anesthesiologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

|