Q. I have a surgery tomorrow morning. I have taken meth. Please advise.

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Jun 23, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

• I have a surgery for rolando fracture tomorrow morning.
  • I am a bit worried about this. I was given meth during a dance festival, day before yesterday evening.
  • I went and got a drug test just to make sure and have been up since then and am hoping I can fall asleep at least a few hours tonight.
  • I had quite a crazy first experience but am very ready to be down and have surgery at 10 AM in the morning.
  • I do not want to take any risk, as it is obviously not worth it.
  • It would have been about 18 hours since the last use of meth.
  • At the time of surgery should I tell anesthesiologists about this?
  • Is it safe to undergo surgery? Please advise.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

• Meth intake might cause interactions with anaesthetic medicines which require to be given during surgery. It is never safe and might cause adverse effects during and after anesthesia.
  • Usually patients are suggested to stop meth at least a week before surgery.
  • In your case, it is important to let your anesthesiologist know that you have been given meth approximately 18 hours before the proposed time of surgery.

Hope this answers your question. 

Consult an anesthesiologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

Folic Acid

Article Overview: Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, which is a water-soluble vitamin B9. It is the crucial ingredient in the synthesis and repair of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) and RNA (Ribonucleic acid). Folate is the naturally available form of vitamin B9, while folic acid is the man-made form.  Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
Pharmacologist

Overview of Folic Acid Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, which is a water-soluble vitamin B9. It is the crucial ingredient in the synthesis and repair of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) and RNA (Ribonucleic acid). Folate is the naturally available form of vitamin B9, while folic acid is the m...  Read Article

Is it safe to exercise if I do not have structural heart problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PVC and bigeminy. I have had tests done and I do not have structural heart problems. Are alcohol and exercise harmful in case of PVC and bigeminy? Also, is it absolutely safe to exercise, if I have PVC and bigeminy during exercise and afterward as well? I take Thyroxin, bu...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Exercise is safe as you do not have any structural heart disease. Just keep observing if PVC (premature ventricular contractions) increases after exercise. Alcohol tends to increase PVC and bigeminy. So, you will need to avoid it. Also, smoking, drug abuse, and caffei...  Read Full

Will you recommend fusion surgery for disc extrusion?

Query: Hi doctor, Four years before, I met with a car accident with no external injury. After a week, I started getting pain in my right buttock and calf area. Later, I was recommended for an MRI and found it was L4-L5 disc extrusion. I underwent the microscopic discectomy the same year. Now, for the pas...  Read Full >>

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A few observations are as follows. Your pain is on the right side and the MRI (date of examination not visible) says about the disc with stenosis more on left side (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly inform me about any neurologic defects that your do...  Read Full

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now