Q. Can I take extra Metoprolol to control my increased heart rate?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I am on Metoprolol for CHF. I have got a usual heart rate of 60 to 65 BPM, but tonight my HR is at 90 to 95 BPM. May I take extra Metoprolol to control my HR.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

At first, sit for 5 to 10 minutes comfortably, calm yourself, and recheck your pulse rate. It is not immediately life-threatening to have a heart rate in the range of 90 to 95 with no symptoms. However, if you take an extra dose of Metoprolol, BP may go down as well. So, if your BP is on the higher side and pulse rate continues to stay in that range, then you can have it. But since it is not an emergency, it is better to wait and get yourself checked and then hike up the dose. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

|