Q. Can I take extra Metoprolol to control my increased heart rate?

Published on Aug 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I am on Metoprolol for CHF. I have got a usual heart rate of 60 to 65 BPM, but tonight my HR is at 90 to 95 BPM. May I take extra Metoprolol to control my HR.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

At first, sit for 5 to 10 minutes comfortably, calm yourself, and recheck your pulse rate. It is not immediately life-threatening to have a heart rate in the range of 90 to 95 with no symptoms. However, if you take an extra dose of Metoprolol, BP may go down as well. So, if your BP is on the higher side and pulse rate continues to stay in that range, then you can have it. But since it is not an emergency, it is better to wait and get yourself checked and then hike up the dose. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

| 

I am feeling uneasy and my BP reading is lower than usual. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Every time my blood pressure will be in the range of 160/110 mmHg or 150/100 mmHg. But, today, it is 90/70 mmHg. I am feeling uneasy and uncomfortable. Previously, I had angio twice, and it was all right. I am currently on Coversyl Dytor, Ecosprin, Rosuvastatin, Starpress and Vertin. I ha...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for increased heart rate of my pregnant wife?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 34 weeks pregnant. She has known tachycardia and had an unsuccessful ablation at 11 years old. Around six weeks ago, using pulse oximeter I have at home, I noticed her resting heart rate had dramatically increased. It went from an average of around 100 to around 130 and 140, so...  Read Full »

What is the possible cause for increased heart rate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male. Even though I am healthy, I am always having a heart rate of 100 and above. What may be the possible cause for this? I had previously performed an ECG.  Read Full »