Q. Since last month, I get migraine headaches almost every day. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I am suffering from migraine for the last 4 years. There is a throbbing pain on one corner of the head and generally the next day it almost definitely shifts to the other corner. This cycle continues. So, the frequency is around 2 headaches per week earlier. If pain killer medicines are taken within the first half an hour of the beginning of pain, it gives reasonably good results. Two years back, my family doctor prescribed Eliwel 10 mg to be taken once every night and Inderal 10 mg at the morning. It gave me better results for a while but again migraine attacks started. I used to get severe headache after washing the head, it will be there for at least for 3 days. Last 1 month, I am having headache almost everyday . Consulted ENT specialist, recommended for CT PNS SCAN and found large polyp in maxillary sinus but they’ve confirmed that it is not cause of my headache . So please recommend .

#

Hi!

Thanks for briefing regarding the problem in concern.

In a typical case of migraine, if it is one, the triggering cause of the migraine has to be ascertained first. In most cases migraine can be made as a diagnosis when

1. There is a triggering factor to it.

2. There is an associated aura ( feeling that your getting the headache, associated with nausea and vomitting).

3. Sometimes associated with ringing sensation in the ear or blurring of vision.

4. Usually consistent on one side.

5. Irritabilty whenever headaches are present.

6. Mri brain is normal

The most common medication given is naproxen with domperidome marketed as naxdom 500mg taken once in the morning and evening after food for 10 days.

Like i said, I always advice the triggering factor to be ascertained and cut at source, as pesistence of such factors usually create relapse of symptoms when the medications are tapered.

Triggering factors could be anything below the sky but usually include prolonged exposure to screen such as mobile/laptop/tv etc, exposure to loud noise, long hours of cell phone use, expore to sun, stress which is going over board, lack of physical exercise, impromper dietary habbits to include a few.

Maxillary sinus retention polyp is very unlikely to be causing the headaches unless associated with an ongoing allergic issue or inflammatory cascade in the nose and para nasal sinuses. If its present, it has to treated accordingly as it could be contributing to the problem.

I hope this answers your query. If there is anything more that you need to know or enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you asap.

Warm regards.

| 

What can be the reason for elevated RBC, Hb and Hct?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. I have been itching all over for months and constantly covered with bruises, petechiae and livedo reticularis. I was diagnosed with erythromyalgia. I also have severe bone pain. My blood work came back with elevated RBC, Hb, Hct, low alkaline phosphate, low BUN...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for sweaty palms and feet with nausea and headache every morning?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 51 years old. I am having sweaty palms and feet every morning. I also feel nausea and headaches. What is the cause of this?  Read Full »

My migraine has been getting worse of late. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female. I have always suffered from migraines. Recently, it seems like it has been getting worse. Last year, I gave birth to my son vaginally. Now, when I lay on my abdomen or even turn my head, I notice a heartbeat sound in my ear. My nurse practitioner thought it ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»