Q. Why do I have headaches, left eye strain, green stools, and trouble sleeping?

Dr. Manisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2020

Good day Doc!

I've been having weird symptoms lately and I'm not sure what to do. I noticed that i've been having occasional headaches (mainly on the left side of my head, right on the top and sometimes on my forehead) in the last two weeks, my left eye has also felt pain along with it, but sometimes all on its own as well. The activities I do consists of dancing and exercising but I haven't done that since the symptoms started, but just today i went for a jog and it started to get a headache.

And just 3 days ago, I noticed my stools have been green all of the sudden, some dark green but most of them bright green, and i go to the bathroom 2-3 times a day so I'm very concerned. The last thing I ate before it started were fries and nuggets that i cooked with vegetable oil, i've been eating rice and bread also.

I'm also having trouble sleeping, and if i do sleep it's only between 3-5 hours, sometimes 6-7 hours but i wake up in the middle of it. I work a graveyard shift so i usually try to sleep in the morning.

Medications: Only taking melatonin, but I had a doctor prescribe eye drops for me because of my eye(because i explained ive been having eye pain) but I haven't bought them yet. Age: 23 Gender: Male Height: 5'7-5'8 Weight: 68-70kg (last year, i don't have a scale i can use but im pretty sure i've gained weight, my build is skinny fat)

More details about the presenting complaint:

Headache/Left eye strain - 2 weeks Green stool - 3-4 days Trouble sleeping - it's been a year

Previous history of the same issue:

No history of green stool or headache/left eye strain before. inconsistent sleeping patterns have been consistent for a year.

Current medications:

Melatonin 3mg - i still cant sleep

#

Hi , Welcome to icliniq. The way you have described your routine activities and work hours, it seems that you have been having Migraine headaches. The most common causes for the onset of these headaches are stress and lack of adequate sleep and both these factors are present in your case. For this 1. Try to monitor the pattern like you had proper sleep or not or any added stress when you get these headaches. 2. Also pay attention to what you eat because sometimes there are certain foods that trigger the onset of headaches. 3. Keep a diary and see how frequently you are getting headache. once or twice a week or more. To start with , you can take Paracetamol tablet 650 mg to get relief. Once the pattern is clear and if headaches are interfering with your daily activities, we can think of adding more medication. Besides this try to destress yourself and get some good sleep. Please give details of the eye drops that your were prescribed. Did you have proper eye check up before that? Regarding the green stool- this does not seem to have any connection with your headaches. You are having diarrhoea and it can be of green color. Do you Also get cramps / nausea? This colour could be due to any green colour food that you are having or due to infection. is there any history of you consuming food from outside?

| 

What ingredients or products can trigger migraines?

Query: Hello doctor, What ingredients or products can trigger migraines, and why this is the case? Some common foods or ingredients I have heard of are alcohol, aged cheese, chocolate, nitrates, MSG, and artificial sweeteners. Is there any truth to these? Are there any substances in common household produ...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for sweaty palms and feet with nausea and headache every morning?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 51 years old. I am having sweaty palms and feet every morning. I also feel nausea and headaches. What is the cause of this?  Read Full »

Is my sleeping problem due to apnea or swollen tonsil?

Query: Hello doctor, For a week or more I have not been able to sleep. Right before I fall asleep I wake myself up. It seems like some sort of apnoea event but I do not know if it is related to swollen tonsils or if its a bigger problem. I am going to the doctor this week but wanted an opinion online espe...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now