Q. Kindly suggest ways to overcome migraine.

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 09, 2021

My company is putting down new carpeting. When I have been in the part of the building that has this new carpet, I get headaches, nausea, lack of concentration, tingling sensation in my fingertips and clammy hands. I have been diagnosed with migraines and some visual stimulus. Mainly flashing lights will give me headaches with similar symptoms I am getting from this carpeting. I started to have migraine when I was 13. Sometimes, I get severe symptoms such as complete numbness in body, unable to communicate and trouble seeing. I have lived with this for over 40 years and I am getting worried that I will not be able to work. I have reached out to human resources and they basically suggested to get glasses to protect my eyes. Any of your help would be appreciated.

#

I clearly understand your symptoms.

The basic reason behind the whole issue is the autonomic imbalance which your nervous system shows to specific sensory inputs. Let me simplify that thing for you.

All the senses give input to our brain like smell, vision, taste, hearing and touch. Out of these five, the first two can have relatively major influence on our autonomic nervous system.

The autonomic nervous system is the part of nervous system which regulates blood circulation, digestion, respiration, cardiac rhythm, etc. The alteration of blood flow in the brain produces those flashes of light and sometimes a lost patch of vision in a field.

Now, people with migraine have little problem with these autonomic regulations and that is what is happening to you. The new smell is excessively disturbing your autonomic nervous system and so you have all the symptoms which you described.

The olfactory system gets adapted relatively quickly. So, if you continue to go there eventually you will get adopted.

If that does not happen, then you can use mechanical barriers such as a small mask to avoid the smell up to a certain extent, but it may not help much.

For nausea, I suggest Emefilm (Ondansetron) 8 mg, a thin mouth dissolving film of medicine to be kept below the tongue when you feel nauseated and Topiramate 50 mg twice a day for headache. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a neurologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|