Q. My sister has a headache that does not subside with pain medications. Please help.

Published on Jul 27, 2017

My sister has headaches from the last six months. Earlier, it was random, but from the last two months, it is continuous. The MRI is normal and no medicines are working. Please help.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• Please revert with the following details:
  1. Are the headaches one-sided or on both sides? 
  2. Are the headaches pulsating in nature
  3. Is the frequency daily or intermittent? 
  4. Is it associated with nausea or vomiting?

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply. The headaches could be one sided, both-sided or even in the entire head. Yes, it is pulsating in nature. Initially, it was intermittent, but from the last two months, it is every day. Until a few days ago, there was a relief after taking the medicines, but now, there is no relief with medicines. It is not associated with vomiting or nausea.

#

• Your sister seems to be suffering from a migraine headache and with prophylaxis, gradually, the severity and the frequency of attacks will reduce and even stop.
  • The drugs are decided based on the frequency, and severity of the headaches. Sleep disturbances are also taken into account.
  • For prophylaxis, the most commonly used drugs are Flunarizine, Propranolol, and Amitriptyline. In the case of an acute pain Triptans like Sumatriptan and Rizatriptan are used. In the case of an acute pain which does not respond to Triptans, we use pain killers like Diclofenac.
  • She will also need to modify her lifestyle as follows:
  1. She should sleep for at least eight hours at night.
  2. Go to bed at the same time every night.
  3. Avoid sleeping in the day to prevent sleep disturbances at night.
  4. Avoid caffeine, lemon, and cheese in your diet.

So, at this point, I suggest she be put on Flunarizine 10 mg and Amitriptyline 10 mg every night. Please discuss with your doctor regarding my suggestions. If you have any further query, please ask.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Lifestyle Modification for Sleep Disorders: An Effective Form of Non-pharmacological Treatment

Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, treating a sleep disorder by good sleep hygiene, or practicing good sleep habits is as effective as medicinal treatment with less chances of side effects .  Read Article

Dr. Hitesh Sharma
Sleep Medicine Physician

A sleep disorder is a form of psychiatric disorder of the sleep patterns. The poor sleep quality can be either due to deficit in sleep i.e, insomnia or excessive sleep i.e, hypersomnia. Sleep Hygiene: Treating a sleep disorder by good sleep hygiene or practicing good sleep habits is...  Read Article

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »