Q. My newborn has small freckles on cheeks and forehead with yellow mass in eye. Please help.

Dr. Arunkumar

I would like to know about small freckles on the cheeks and forehead of 1-month-old male child. Also, the left eye is watery and collection of yellowish mass after few hours near the inner end of the left eye. Please suggest.

Dr. Arunkumar

Paediatrics
#

It is very normal for a newborn baby up to 6 months of age to develop such minor skin problems. It is called milia. There is no need to worry about it. It is due to insignificant obstruction in sweat glands. I will prescribe a lotion. Please apply the lotion three to four times a day for the next two weeks. Please stop using talcum powder if you are already using it.

And regarding this watery discharge in the eyes, if the discharge is very mild, no need to give any medications for the same. If the discharge is significantly high, I will prescribe an eye drops, which is to be given four times a day for one-week duration (only if the discharge is significantly high). Please give a gentle massage on the inner side of the eye (nasal side) for four to five times a day. In some babies, such insignificant discharge can persist up to three to four months. It will settle with regular massaging daily for the next 12 months.

Milia. Conjunctivitis. Dacryocystitis.

|