Q. I missed period for the first time in life. What could be the reason?

I miss my period. It is about a week late and I am having lower back pain, headache almost every day and cramps like I am having a period. I took a test yesterday at the doctor's office but it was negative. The doctor mentioned something about hCG because I never missed a period in my life.

#

The fact that you have missed your menses by 7 days and the urine pregnancy test is negative, indicates that you are not pregnant. But considering the fact that this is the first time, the doctor must have ordered blood-based serum beta hCG test which is again a more specific test for detecting pregnancy.

If the hcg levels are less than 1 ng/dl then it ensures that you are not pregnant at all. The delay or absence of period at your age group can be due to stress-induced hormonal imbalances most likely, but nevertheless, a hormonal profile should be done to look for any hypothyroidism or hyperprolactinemia.

The abdominal cramps and headache though indicate PMS (premenstrual symptoms), shows that your menses shall ensue in the next few days.

|