Q. Kindly advise the reason for missed periods after taking birth control pills.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

I missed my period for this month and I am worried. I am currently on birth control (Estarylla pills) and the last week of last month, there were a few days I forgot to take my pills and had to double up for about 3-4 days. After that, I had brown discharge for 4 days a week before my period the 3 days when I was supposed to have my period. The discharge was pretty thick, but not exactly a usual period. I took a pregnancy test after my period was late 4 days and the results were negative.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The discharge you saw was breakthrough bleeding. Estarylla or any birth controll pills contain estrogen and progestone which are the hormone that control your menstrual cycle. They have to be taken every day at the same time, 2 doses being 24 hours apart. When a pill is missed, the estrogen and progestrone level fall, this causes an imbalance. As you have missed your pill for 3-4 days, this causes a big fall in hormones. Reduced hormones causes breakthrough bleeding which you see as browish discharge.

Do not worry. Now you have to restart your menstruation which is called withdrawal bleeding. This can be done by Progestin pill (like Provera or Dvery 5 mg taken twice daily for 5 days). Once you stop the pill, whithdrawal bleeding or menstruation will occur within week of stopping the pills. You can start your new pack of Estarylla on day one of your cycle, but do not miss any doses.

|