Q. What is the reason for irregular periods after stopping birth control pill?

Dr. Sharmila Naik Shashikant
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I am 22 years old. And for four months I have had emergency contraceptive pill four times. One in each month after having unprotected sex. I got regular periods for four months after having the medicine. But this is the fifth month in which I have not consumed any pill and still did not get my period. Please help.

#

Emergency contraception is not to be taken regularly. There are two phases of the menstrual cycle first 15 days estrogenic phase and second secretory phase. These tablets are high dose hormonal and delay ovulation. So depending upon which phase you took medicine, the period will prepone or postpone. Or you can have erratic bleeding, irregular cycle eventually. Side effects of nausea acne bloating breast tenderness may occur. Get a urine pregnancy test done three weeks after taking a pill as it can even fail. Consult a gynecologist for regular contraception soon.

|