Q. I got pregnant recently after getting MMR shots. Please advise.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I have been in combination birth control pills for over a year and recently got MMR shots. I had a fever and diarrhea and got pregnant during the symptoms. Is this an issue? Will the MMR cause birth defects?

#

MMR is measles, mumps and rubella vaccine. Rubella specifically has a hazardous effect on pregnancy if occurs during the first trimester. If the shots were more than a month from your last period date, then you should not worry so much, as the antibodies are already formed, but if it is less than a month between the shots and a missed period, I guess it becomes risky. Please revert back with your vaccine date and last menstrual date. Congenital rubella can cause cardiovascular defects, congenital cataracts and hearing issues in the baby.

|