Q. Is having moles all over the body an indication for melanoma?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I have attached a photo of the mole that I have. Is that a melanoma? Should I be concerned? Kindly help.

#

I had gone through the photograph (photographs were removed to protect the patient's identity). It is dysplastic nevi.

I suggest, do a self-observation for change in shape, irregular margins or borders, and change in size or color. Avoid direct sunlight. Apply Photostable sunscreen daily at 9 AM, 12 PM, and 3 PM for two months. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going outdoors. To rule out malignancy, I suggest doing a biopsy of the lesion.

A better assessment can be done if you answer the following questions; Do you have any family history of melanoma? Do you have any history of severe sunburn? Do you have any irritation around the surrounding skin? Do you have a fair skin tone? Do you use tanning beds? Do you have any history of prolonged exposure to sun or ultraviolet rays? Have you undergone chemotherapy in the past? Do you have many moles on the body? Kindly reply.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a brown skin tone. I do not have any irritation around the mole. I do not have any history of prolonged exposure to sunlight. I have no history of using tanning beds. I have not undergone any chemotherapy. I have many moles all over my body. Is that a cause for concern? Kindly help.

#

Many moles on the body are a risk factor for skin cancer or melanoma. A skin biopsy should be done to confirm this. Sample tissue is removed from the site and sent to a lab for examination under a microscope in a biopsy. I suggest avoiding mid-day sun. Use sunscreen lotion, even on a cloudy day. Wear protective clothing that covers your arms and legs. Avoid tanning booths. Do a self-examination of the skin to look for changes and detect them early. If it is detected early, it can be treated quickly with less scarring. It appears as benign dysplastic nevi on the clinical picture. I suggest, observe for changes and going for a biopsy.

|