Q. What are the moles that keep recurring?

Dr. Gauri Kshirsagar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have some moles on my lower face and earlier the moles were operated twice by laser therapy with the advice of a doctor. But, it appears repeatedly. Am I suffering from any illness? What are the causes behind it?

#

• Healthwise, a mole does not cause any problem . It has a tendency to become malignant in cases of Caucasian individuals (white people). But, in quite dark people it would not cause any discomfort.
  • Until and unless you want to remove it due to cosmetic reasons, it will not pose any risk.
  • The depth of the pigment of the mole may vary, superficial or deep.
  • If it is superficial, it can be removed by a single sitting of radio frequency or a laser treatment.
  • Where as in case of a deeper mole, it will require more than two sittings. Since removing it in a single sitting, it can cause a scar.
  • The pigment in the deeper mole can recur even after removing it, hence the choice of removing it will be only because of cosmetic reasons.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How many times it need to get operated? It is appearing again and again and spreading here and there. Is there any curable treatment? Please guide.

#

• If it is spreading to other areas (not in size), then it may not be a mole in the first place.
  • It is better you send me clear photograph, with and without flash, so that I may have a look and give you a definite diagnosis.
  • Also, if possible do mention the name of the laser which was used to treat your condition.

Revert back with the photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Please find the attachment. I have sent a photo of my mole which is present on my neck. Earlier it was on bottom of lower lip on the left side and it was operated. And again there on the same place mole is coming. Is this a viral infection?

#

I saw your photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• These lesions are also called viral wart (Verruca filiformis).
  • These are not dangerous. However, they have a tendency to recur even after multiple removals. The growth which has happened is filled with virus particles, so whenever you shave that area, these are going to get seeded at someplace else.
  • I suggest you to use hair trimmer instead of shaving, as blades can cause a lot spread of these warts.
  • Radio frequency removal or CO2 laser (carbon dioxide laser) removal is effective if done thoroughly and multiple times.
  • Meanwhile, start vitamin B complex and Zinc supplements as these build up your immunity to fight these warts naturally.
  • There is no need to get scared, as recurrence is extremely common even in viral warts.
  • They can come literally from anywhere. Hence, known to be very common. Generally, they seem to be common in persons doing shaving in the men's parlors. However, they can come from anywhere.

Multiple radio frequency or CO2 laser removals are effective when taken along with vitamin B complex and Zinc supplements.

1. Use hair trimmer on zero setting for beard area.
2. Avoid shaving.
3. Avoid picking the wart by hands.

Revert back after one month to a dermatologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|