Q. I have warts on my penis. Is it an STD?

Dr. Kakkar

I had unprotected intercourse with one of my relatives 14 years ago. I had gone through two to three sets of tests back then including HIV, and all were negative. But I still have some neurological problems which started one month after I had the intercourse. The doctor did not find any STD through VDRL test. And the doctor informed it was psychological. Four years back, I had safe sex and oral sex with some random girls. At present, I have very small two or three warts on my penis, which a dermatologist said is normal and it recurs. He prescribed one ointment and it was gone. It has come back again. Also, I have a very small white line or very light patch in the penis. Still having the neurological problems (under treatment) for some nerve suppression at neck level disk. Not sure if there is any link with STDs from back then. I am having a problem with having babies. Therefore I would like to confirm if I have any STDs.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see a single, skin colored, raised and round bump on the glans.

Perhaps it is a genital wart, however, I request you to kindly upload a few more good quality and closer images so that I am able to have a closer look and guide you better.

The whitish line on the undersurface of the prepuce is not an STD. It seems like it is due to Fordyce spots arranged in a linear pattern. Fordyce spots are quite common. They are ectopic sebaceous glands.

As far as your screening tests are concerned they seem to be conclusive since they were done almost five years after sexual contact and would have certainly ruled out HIV and syphilis. You neurological symptoms are most likely unrelated. Regards.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thanks a lot for responding so quickly. I have uploaded some more pictures. Kindly verify. Also, please note once again, I had safe sex but also had oral sex (not safe). Please guide me, if I need to go through some STI/STD related test, just to be 100 % sure. Otherwise, I am a healthy person.

Dr. Kakkar

#

I have viewed the images. Yes, they do seem like warts. What ointment was used for the warts? It is not usual for the infection to recur after so many years. Perhaps, this is a new infection.

HPV can also be passed on from receptive oral sex if one of the sexual partners had oral HPV. Insertive oral sex is largely safe as far as risk of HIV is concerned though there is a risk of transmission of herpes simplex virus (HSV) from oro-labial herpes infection in the partner performing oral sex. Regards.

| 

Thanks for responding. I do not remember the name of the ointment. Probably started with 'Z'. In such scenario, please guide me regarding the queries below.

1. Which test should I do to determine HPV and HSV?
  2. Are they both curable?
  3. Should my wife also go through the same medication, if I am found positive with any of it?
  4. Are they having an impact on reproduction?

Dr. Kakkar

#

There is no need to test for HPV type. You may screen for HSV with ELISA for HSV type1 and 2, IgG and IgM.

I suggest screening for you initially and if positive, then for your wife too.

HPV infection usually resolves within two years whereas HSV persists and can cause recurrences from time to time.

None of these infections affect fertility. Regards.

| 

Test with ELISA is not available. Any suggestion? Is the test without that fine?

Dr. Kakkar

#

ELISA is the standard screening method for HSV type 1 and 2, IgG and IgM. I suggest you go to a reputed lab.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I went to a reputed lab and it is not available there. I have submitted a sample for the standard method available there - only "HSV type 1 and 2, IgG and IgM".

Dr. Kakkar

#

Yes. This is the test I am talking about. The method used is ELISA. It is perfectly fine.

| 

Alright. Thanks.

Dr. Kakkar

#

Welcome back toicliniq.com.

Ok. Welcome.

| 

Please find the lab result attached herewith. Staffs suggested for VDRL also and I did that test too as it was costing small. Please suggest me a way forward.

Dr. Kakkar

#

I have viewed the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Both the tests are normal which is a good thing. That means you only have HPV infection /genital warts. Rest all STDs have been ruled out by lab tests. Regards.

| 

How to deal this HPV now? For me and my wife (in case she has any risk). Kindly educate me to lead a healthy life ahead. I heard there is vaccination available for male and female. Are they required for us? Kindly guide me.

Dr. Kakkar

#

I suggest you apply Imiquad (Imiquimod) cream every night on the area affected by genital warts. Use it for five days in a week (Monday to Friday and Saturday/Sunday off).

HPV Vaccine is recommended before exposure to the virus. They do not treat existing genital warts.

Since HPV transmission is reduced by a condom, therefore, you must always have protected sex with your wife.

I suggest a Pap smear for your wife every three to six months as HPV is the most common cause of cervical cancer in females. Regards.

| 

I have ordered the medicine as it was not available in the local shops. What ointment to use for the whitish patch I mentioned earlier.

Queries:

1. I was wondering, how long this virus would remain active as I did my last oral sex three years ago. I heard body gets immunity against it. Also you mentioned it cures within two years.
  2. In case my wife has an infection, how long it takes to get some symptoms? Any sign (scars, warts)?
  3. Do I need to give my wife any medication/ointment/tests other than regular paps?

Dr. Kakkar

#

The body's own immunity takes care of the HPV infection. The infection resolves in two years in most infected individuals. HPV infection may be asymptomatic and the incubation period for warts to develop varies from a few days to weeks. So one really cannot tell when and who out of the HPV infected will develop warts. If she does not have any visible warts then there is no need for any medication. I request you to kindly upload a few more good quality images of the whitish line. It did not seem a concern to me but I would like to have a look again. Regards.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 
Thanks Dr. Kakkar,

In my case, as I informed earlier, I exposed to oral sex for last time during 2015 (Aug-Sep). Do you think it, based on average cases, should be taken care of by now? I'm bit confused here.

Please find the pictures attached herewith.

Regards,

Dr. Kakkar

# Thank you.
I think this linear lesion too is a wart. Most of the times infection resolves within 2 years,however, sometimes it may persist longer specially if it is HPV type 16, 18, 32, 33 which are carcinogenic. Most genital warts(>90%) are caused by HPV type 6,11 which are non carcinogenic.

Regards

| 
Thanks Dor Kakkar. I will apply the ointment.

Dr. Kakkar

# Ok.

Take care

| 

Hello Dr. Kakkar, I have been applying the ointment and so far 5 units have been applied in last five days. I can see they are bit smaller in size and bumpiness has also reduced a bit. I have given a break of 2 days. I have got a problem with the white patch I showed you earlier. I applied the ointment on that too and skin on that portion has been ruptured and turned into a small wound. I'm bit uncomfortable deep inside (sometime at urine track). ****** Kindly suggest me an ointment to repair that, ASAP. ******

Dr. Kakkar

# Hello. Irritation is quite expected with imiquad cream.
Apply T-Bact Cream, twice daily for a week.

Regards

| 
Many thanks Dr. Kakkar, for quick reply. Regards,

Dr. Kakkar

Does HPV vaccine cure genital warts?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50-year-old male. I had genital warts five years ago, had them removed via cauterization and received three injections of HPV vaccine Gardasil. The doctor said the vaccine would cure the virus, but after a year, warts reappeared and until now they are still in my scrotum, and th...  Read Full »

Is this brown spot I developed, a wart or a symptom of HPV?

Query: Hello doctor, A few months ago, a doctor told me that I had a genital wart. It looked like a flat mole to me. Eventually, it was removed. I want to know if this brown spot I developed recently is also a wart or a symptom of HPV.  Read Full »

Do I need biopsy for genital warts on penile head?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with genital warts on the penile head. I was given Imiquimod cream to be applied for 10 to 15 minutes in the morning on alternate days and then wash off. The treatment went on for two months. Warts became lighter but did not go completely. It is definitely better than b...  Read Full »