Q. Why do they send a mole biopsy sample for second opinion?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I had a mole removed from my leg. The pathology laboratory has sent my sample to another laboratory for second opinion. Why would they do that?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

• Especially, mole is removed when color is changing or increasing in size or itching or ulceration. As it is removed based on clinical finding, extra evaluation is being done.
  • A second opinion is better rather than making a wrong diagnosis, which can affect management.

For further clarification consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

| 

Could you look at my mole and give your suggestion?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a mole that has grown a lot and has changed its shape and color. It has also developed a lot of different shaped blood vessels inside it. I have taken a few good images showing the mole close and the various blood vessels, which are running though it. I am now pretty worried after...  Read Full »

One of my moles has raised. Should I get them checked?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a couple of moles that have changed recently. Should I get them checked by my GP? The larger round mole is on my back of about 5 mm in diameter. Now, it is a little over 1 cm. Also, it has changed over a course of a few months. The other mole that I noticed recently, is raised, whi...  Read Full »

MRI spine showed intramedullary mass at T4. Is it a cyst or malignancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI of the thoracic spine and it showed an intramedullar mass at level T4. I was told it is likely to be a cyst and is not malignant. However, everything I have read online says that intramedullar lesions are almost always malignant and cysts are rare or maybe evidence of MS,...  Read Full »

Ask a Pathologist Now