Q. Why do they send a mole biopsy sample for second opinion?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I had a mole removed from my leg. The pathology laboratory has sent my sample to another laboratory for second opinion. Why would they do that?

#

• Especially, mole is removed when color is changing or increasing in size or itching or ulceration. As it is removed based on clinical finding, extra evaluation is being done.
  • A second opinion is better rather than making a wrong diagnosis, which can affect management.

For further clarification consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

|