Q. One of my moles has raised. Should I get them checked?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I have a couple of moles that have changed recently. Should I get them checked by my GP? The larger round mole is on my back of about 5 mm in diameter. Now, it is a little over 1 cm. Also, it has changed over a course of a few months. The other mole that I noticed recently, is raised, while the rest is flat. I have uploaded the photos for your reference. Please help.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

• Yes, raised mole is definitely suspicious.
  • But, frankly speaking, by seeing just photos or even seeing live it is very difficult to say that it has cancerous property or not.
  • The best thing is to get it checked and get the definite result. Excision biopsy is the best way to identify it.
  • Through biopsy, the entire mole would be removed, we do the treatment as well as diagnosis by sending it to pathology.
  • Any sudden change in color, texture, size and margin are indicator of melanoma. But, let us not jump into conclusion before biopsy.
  • I would suggest you to definitely go to dermatologist for proper checkup.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I will visit my dermatologist and have it tested as you suggest. I just wanted to check it was worth being seen. Is it just the raised mole that looks suspicious rather than the larger spread out one on my back?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

• Yes, both are looking suspicious. Even these are simple ones, but proper investigation is must.
  • Both mole should be checked . If reports come negative, then you will be relaxed. Also, if not, then you can get early treatment.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|