Q. One of my moles has raised. Should I get them checked?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

I have a couple of moles that have changed recently. Should I get them checked by my GP? The larger round mole is about 5 mm in diameter on my back. Now, it is a little over 1 cm. Also, it has changed over a few months. The other mole that I noticed recently is raised, while the rest is flat. I have uploaded the photos for your reference. Please help.

#

Yes, raised mole is suspicious. But, frankly speaking, by seeing just photos or even seeing live, it is challenging to say whether it has cancerous probability or not. The best thing is to get it checked and get a definite result. An excision biopsy is the best way to identify it. Through biopsy, the entire mole would be removed. We do the treatment and a diagnosis by sending it to a pathologist. Any sudden change in color, texture, size, and margin indicates melanoma. But, let us not jump to a conclusion before the biopsy. I would suggest you go to a dermatologist for a proper checkup.

I will visit my dermatologist and have it tested as you suggest. I just wanted to check it was worth being seen. Is it just the raised mole that looks suspicious rather than the larger spread out one on my back?

#

• Yes, both are looking suspicious. Even these are simple ones, but proper investigation is must.
  • Both mole should be checked . If reports come negative, then you will be relaxed. Also, if not, then you can get early treatment.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|