Q. One of my moles has raised. Should I get them checked?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I have a couple of moles that have changed recently. Should I get them checked by my GP? The larger round mole is on my back of about 5 mm in diameter. Now, it is a little over 1 cm. Also, it has changed over a course of a few months. The other mole that I noticed recently, is raised, while the rest is flat. I have uploaded the photos for your reference. Please help.

#

• Yes, raised mole is definitely suspicious.
  • But, frankly speaking, by seeing just photos or even seeing live it is very difficult to say that it has cancerous property or not.
  • The best thing is to get it checked and get the definite result. Excision biopsy is the best way to identify it.
  • Through biopsy, the entire mole would be removed, we do the treatment as well as diagnosis by sending it to pathology.
  • Any sudden change in color, texture, size and margin are indicator of melanoma. But, let us not jump into conclusion before biopsy.
  • I would suggest you to definitely go to dermatologist for proper checkup.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I will visit my dermatologist and have it tested as you suggest. I just wanted to check it was worth being seen. Is it just the raised mole that looks suspicious rather than the larger spread out one on my back?

#

• Yes, both are looking suspicious. Even these are simple ones, but proper investigation is must.
  • Both mole should be checked . If reports come negative, then you will be relaxed. Also, if not, then you can get early treatment.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|