Q. What is the definitive test for MND?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

I have recently noticed a lot of wrinkling of my skin on both my thenar muscles of the thumb. I just noticed it a month ago. I also have a dent or atrophy on the back of my right hand between the little and middle finger. I am not sure whether this is new as it seems to appear in a video of myself taken before three months. I am a 35 year old male. My grip strength seems good. I recently did a personal best hang test of 1 minute 20 seconds. Two years ago, my neurologist told me that I had cramp fasciculation syndrome as I had a lot of calf and feet twitchings. I am concerned now that I may have MND. Please help.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

• Motor neuron disease may be a possibility for the appearance of muscle atrophy in the photographs that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • However, the definitive test for MND is ENMG, which stands for electroneuromyography. It can detect whether the nerve conduction and muscle excitation is normal or not.
  • In MND, ENMG will show denervation potentials and the site of the lesion will be the anterior horn cell.
  • You should ask your primary care physician to refer you to a neurologist for ENMG and physical evaluation.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Are vitamin D deficiency and tingling in the mouth related?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. I am from prickling, numbness, warm sensation in my feet and hands and tingling in my lips and mouth for the past two years. I had a severe cough for around two years and recently, it got resolved. My issue, initially started with prickling and burning sensations ...  Read Full »

Whenever I think of sex,my penis starts secreting a transparent fluid.Is this a normal condition or some disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old male. Whenever I think of sex, my penis starts secreting a transparent fluid which keeps on coming out from my penis until I masturbate. Also if I do not masturbate after the excitation, my penis starts paining. Is this a normal condition or some disease? After 1-2...  Read Full »