Q. Kindly suggest best mouthwash and paste for daily use.

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Published on Apr 30, 2019

Kindly suggest which mouthwash and paste is good to use on daily basis.

#

On daily basis, it is suggested that one should try tooth brushing with paste recommended by the American dental association (ADA) and Indian dental association (IDA). While buying a paste, you should look for whether it is ADA or IDA approved. Second is choose the paste containing ingredients like fluoride, sorbitol, glycerol, sodium lauryl sulfate, calcium carbonate, and saccharin. You can use them daily particularly before sleeping.

However, if you have sensitivity in teeth and issue with cold things like ice cream, then you can try pastes containing high fluoride which strengthens teeth and prevents sensitivity and also prevents further progress of cavities. You should try usual toothpaste but after three months try this fluoride-rich paste for one month so that you will not develop future caries.

Mouthwashes contains mostly Chlorohexidine, but it is not recommended for daily use. It is used in the case when there are gum inflammation and bad breath. Moreover, it is not recommended for more than 15 days as these cause staining of teeth sometimes. If you have gum infection or bad breathe, you can try it.

| 

Kindly advice some herbal toothpaste and mouthwash.

#

You can try herbal mouthwashes. These are readily available like Meswak, Himalaya complete care, and Dabur red. And mouthwashes like Dr gingers, Jason and Aesop are commonly used. But remember if you are using mouthwash use it twice or thrice daily particularly before leaving for work or going for sleep. It reduces bad breath. Moreover, use it for 30 seconds after one hour of eating or drinking anything to prevent vomiting and nausea.

| 

I have acid reflux. So suggest some good herbal mouthwash accordingly.

#

Get Aesop or Dr Ginger mouthwash and try it as per instructions.

| 

I swallowed Povidone iodine mouthwash by mistake. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left...  Read Full »

Will accidentally putting mascara wand in a child's mouth cause any harm?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old put my mascara wand in his mouth. His teeth and all around his mouth were black. I used a toothbrush and water to get all the black out. What else should I do? I am not sure how much he swallowed. Can it harm him?  Read Full »

Keeping Your Teeth Clean !!!

Article Overview: Brushing your teeth twice daily helps to remove the plaque and food particles between the teeth and helps to maintain optimal oral health. Read Article

Brush your teeth twice a day using a fluoride tooth paste. Replace your toothbrush every three or four months or sooner if the bristles are frayed.  A worn toothbrush won't do a good job of cleaning your teeth.  Clean between teeth daily with floss or an interdentally cleaner. Decay -...  Read Article