Q. I drank povidone-iodine mouthwash by mistake. Is my health at risk?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2019

I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left leg and sometimes in my left hand. What could be causing it?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

• Betadine (Povidone-Iodine 10 %) has been used as an external disinfectant prior to surgery for years.
  • The active antimicrobial agent is iodine and is necessary for thyroid hormone synthesis. Excess iodine will be filtered out by the normal kidneys.
  • Povidone is a commonly used excipient which passes through the body safely. The other inactive ingredients in Betadine are not harmful.
  • Betadine has been introduced as a gargle for the treatment of a sore throat. If it is used only for gargling, it will not affect your health as it is a disinfectant.
  • But, care should be taken to prevent consuming Povidine-iodine, as it will cause as well as trigger your gastritis.
  • A burning sensation is usually due to a compression of the nerve that supplies your legs and hands. And it can be due to any disc prolapse like cervical or lumbar spine abnormalities.

Follow up with investigations if you had any.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|