Q. How to know if abortion was successful or not?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I found out that I was four weeks pregnant last Tuesday. I took Misoprostol sublingually three times on three hours interval. Later that evening, I had serious cramps and diarrhea. I bled a little and passed out blood clots twice. Then the next day, I noticed I was passing out blood tissues. I felt the drug did not work. Two days after, I took another 4-pill of Misoprostol. I had fever for some few hours plus diarrhea and cramps. I bled a little few hours later. Was the abortion successful or not?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

Medical abortion is available once a pregnancy is detected via ultrasound (usually around five weeks) up to nine weeks (63 days) gestation. The abortion is achieved using a combination of two medications which work together to terminate a pregnancy.

If you feel it is incomplete abortion, I suggest you meet your doctor and get a scan done to confirm that the abortion is complete. If it is not complete, the doctor may advise you what to do next. If it is crossed nine weeks, he may plan a surgical method.

Please consult your gynecologist at the earliest. He/she will examine and treat you accordingly.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|