Q. Is it necessary to take Misoprostol along with Mifepristone to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

I had unprotected sex before three days. Today it is almost 72 hours completed. I have taken Mifepristone 200 mg. Are there chances of pregnancy still?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

There is a less likely chance to get pregnant. As you had taken your contraceptive within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.

| 

Do I need to take Misoprostol as well? I took Mifepristone after 72 hours.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

It cannot rule out 100 percent chances of not getting pregnant. Before that, I would like to know when was your last menstrual cycle completed. Do you have any idea of safe period with a natural contraceptive method to avoid pregnancy, if you had unprotected intercourse? I just want to know whether you are in the duration of safe period or not by knowing your last menstrual date.

| 

My last menstrual cycle started on 11th of last month till 15th.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

Safe period is from day 1 to 7 and day 21 to the rest of the cycle when you can have sex without worrying about getting pregnant. This period will not be the same for all women as it depends on the length of the menstrual cycle. The average menstrual cycle is 28 days or a little less, but if your cycle is longer than 28 days, the safe period is not reliable.

In an average 28-day menstrual cycle, ovulation occurs on the 14th day. For women whose cycle is between 26 and 32 days, it could occur anytime between 12th and 19th days.

Just to enlighten you by calculating your menstruation, your safe period will 11th to17th and from 31st to 8th of next month, considering yours as 28 days cycle and regular. You can have unprotected sex during these dates without fear of getting pregnant.

|