Q. Is it safe to take MTP kit at home without doctor guidance?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2019

I am a 26 year old married woman. I have missed my period. When I tested using a Prega News kit, the result was positive. I do not like to have a baby now and I want to terminate my pregnancy with the help of MTP kit. Please advise me how and when to take medicine for termination. Do I need to take any other medicine with MTP? Please tell me in detail. I do not like to go hospital for this. Is it safe to get it done at home?

#

Firstly, your decision of not reporting to the doctor itself is very wrong and trying to abort at home is further wrong as MTP can lead to a lot of bleeding complications which you cannot manage at home after taking the medicine as a dosed protocol. The MTP kit (medical termination of pregnancy) is available in the market as unwanted, but the instruction to take the medication is not accurate for requirement of dose depends on the period of gestation first.

Hence, it is necessary that you should undergo an ultrasound pelvis to locate the pregnancy first whether it is intrauterine or ectopic. Once intrauterine confirmed, then the tablets can be taken in a scheduled manner under your local gynecologist supervision in a sequential manner with Mifepristone first and then Misoprostol.

Sometimes, Misoprostol has to be continued till 2000 microgram maximum dosage in case of failed abortion with the initial dosage, which may lead to surgical abortion or D and C (dilatation and curettage). So, it is recommended that you should meet your gynecologist first and do not attempt any home abortion. It is not safe at all.

|