Q. What is the life expectancy in case of mucinous cystadenoma?

Dr. Arvind Guru

I am 31 years old and weigh about 54 kg. I underwent appendix operation before four years, and the histopathology came as appendix with mucinous cystadenoma. After a few months, I started getting stomach pain and constipation, and doctors used to give me stool softners. My stomach pain became severe before two years and I got admitted to the hospital. They did a colonoscopy and said everything is normal but my problem did not go off. Recently, again I got admitted in the hospital due to severe pain and they did right hemicolectomy and said I have a mucinous carcinoma and it is not curable, only death can be postponed by giving treatment. Kindly advice and help me.

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read your query and seen the attached files (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but nowhere is it documented that it is mucinous carcinoma and that it has spread. The uploaded colonoscopy was not done recently, what was done after that till now? Please upload all the doctors' notes and recent investigation reports for thorough advice.

| 

Please find my recent attachment. I again did a CT scan and right hemicolectomy histopathology report. After that, I did not take any treatment, but I used to take Combiflam tablets for stomach pain.

Dr. Arvind Guru

#

Thanks for followup with the medical reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I am sorry to inform you that your doctors are right in suggesting that the tumor has spread in the body away from the initial site. Maybe a surgery done earlier itself would have prevented it from spreading. The last report did actually suggest to undergo a right hemicolectomy.

Chemotherapy is the only option available, unfortunately, but in some patients, it can extend life by some time (maximum around one year to one and a half years). Do get your other family members (children and siblings) checked up for hereditary cancer syndromes. I am really sorry about your diagnosis.

Stage 4 - Carcinoma cecum mucinous type (? HNPCC (hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer), related).

|