Q. What is the reason for pain after eating pulse post appendix surgery?

Dr. Mahwish Dildar Abbasi

My appendix was operated (open surgery) five months ago. I ate pulse one week ago and I feel little pain in this area. Can this wound be cured?

#

A pulse or legume, that has a specific kind of sugar called oligosaccharide which cannot be broken down by the human body on its own. For breaking of these oligosaccharides, bacteria in intestines come into action and break these sugars by fermentation and as a result, produce gases in the body owing to flatulence. The pain you are experiencing could be because of that. The other reason could be phantom pain which is a pain in the part of the body which no longer exists. These are sensations origination from the nerves via spinal cord and brain. However, if you have any other symptoms, like warmth over the surgical site or fever, you may need to be evaluated for surgical site infection.

|