Q. My mother has pain, discomfort and irritation in the eyes after COVID infection. Please help.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

My mother is a 40-year-old healthy female. She has pain in both eyes for the past seven days. It started with discomfort and irritation as if some particle is stuck in her eyes. Both the eyes are affected, but she can see well. There is no discharge, no foreign body, or burning. Using Histafree eye drops for the past four days. She is not using kajal since this issue. I have enclosed a picture of both eyes. Please help.

#

It may be due to allergy (dust most common). If Histafree eye drops (Olopatadine) is not relieving, I suggest:

• Alcaft eye Drops (Alcaftadine) twice daily for one month.
  • Refresh Liquigel Eye Drops (Carboxymethylcellulose) three times a day for one month.

Ask her to wash her face after coming home from outside.

Take care.

We started with the medication you suggested for my mother.

The pain is still there but a little less. The swelling, discharge, burning, and discomfort continue. There is heaviness while blinking and opening, maybe because of inflammation. There is no nasal discharge, tooth pain, or headaches, but it started with itchy eyes. My father and my elder brother, who developed COVID and now recovered, have no such symptoms. My mother has just recovered from COVID, I wanted to rule out black or white fungal infections, so I repost my question again. Is it acceptable to continue this without any fear of not acting on those? Also, she is taking her regular post-COVID medication, blood pressure, and sugar pills. She is eating and moving well. I am trying to figure out if this is serious enough to rush to an eye hospital or wait for another day or two.

#

The discomfort may be due to the inflammation, and there will be a slight pricking sensation until it heals. If the pain is reduced, then no need to worry.

There will be extreme swelling and pain in fungal infection, decreased vision, watering, and discharge, associated with headache and low to high-grade fever. Kindly attach a recent photograph of both eyes.

For discomfort, while opening and closing eyes, I suggest:

• Lacrigel eye ointment (Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose) twice daily.
  • Tapering dose of L-Pred eye drops (Loteprednol etabonate) four times a day for three days, three times a day for the next three days, two times a day for the subsequent three days, instead of Alcaft eye drops for nine days.

If the discomfort continues even after two to three days, you can consult a local ophthalmologist for examination.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Take care.

|