Q. How to treat multidrug-resistant tuberculosis?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 07, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 01, 2019

I have been diagnosed with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. I have attached the reports. Please suggest a way to treat this.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I have seen both the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Sputum report is positive and has also grown Mycobacterium tuberculosis. But the sensitivity test for all five first-line drugs is not done. Patient weight is also not mentioned.

If it is MDR-TB (Multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis), thesecond-line drugs should be started with remaining sensitive first-line drugs. When there is no report of resistance to Isoniazid or Rifampicin, only then we say it as MDR-TB. So, please get done the sensitivity test for all first and second line drugs from the same lab.

The patient must take injection Streptomycin 750 mg IM (intramuscular) daily along with tablet Akurit 4 (combination of Isoniazid, Rifampicin, Pyrazinamide, and Ethambutol) according to weight. Also, give protein supplements like eggs and proteinex powder with milk.

Decreased immunity might be a cause.

Sputum AFB culture.
Sensitivity test for first and second line drugs.

Multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)

Second line anti-tubercular treatment.

Compulsory use of mask by the patient.

| 

What is the chance of transmitting TB to partner after completion of medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pulmonary TB and this is the third month since taking medicine. I had blood in sputum few times and sputum test showed negative but based on CT scan, the doctor suspected pulmonary TB. I was recommended medicine for six months. I am feeling better after taking medicine and...  Read Full »

I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. Give me a diet suggestion

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. What should I do? Shall I take any medicine or any diet suggestions? Age 23, male, weight 59kg, height - 179cm.  Read Full »

Is there any diet plan to reduce fat in the stomach area?

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding fat accumulation at major fats at stomach area. Is there any method so that it could be reduced since my marriage is fixed in 15 days. Is there any diet plan?  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now