Q. What is GeneXpert test?

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Is there any MDR-TB test for formalin based tissue? I had biopsy, but they dipped it in formalin. Now I asked for another biopsy for GeneXpert test. What to do?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

• The GeneXpert test is a molecular test which detects the DNA in TB bacteria (tuberculosis).
  • Formalin treated tissue might have TB bacteria which are dead and do not have viable DNA material. Therefore, repeat biopsy has been suggested.

For further information consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

My 1 year kid has continuous fever and abscess in neck. Kindly guide.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 1 year old. Since 10 days she has a fever. From the very first day, we have consult pediatrician and he started Nobel plus for fever four times a day. We completed the course for five days and returned to doctor for follow up. He again suggested for Nobel plus twice a d...  Read Full »

Why is a MDR tuberculosis patient under treatment getting diarrhea?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 51 years old with DM and thyroid and is suffering from MDR tuberculosis. She is on medication for 15 months. Recently her medicine has been changed due to diarrhea. Her new medicine are Elox OZ, Rabifit DSR, Calvit 500 mg, Doxid 50 mg, Trixid-H, Petril MD, Rejunex CD3, At...  Read Full »

What to do for headache in case of chronic infective granulomas?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is a 28 year old male. His weight is 56 kg and height is 6 feet. He was an assistant Professor in an Engineering college. For around five days, He had a heavy unbearable headache, high fever, vomiting, loss of appetite, lost consciousness and had a single episode of seizure o...  Read Full »

Ask a Pathologist Now