Q. My 1 year kid has continuous fever and abscess in neck. Kindly guide.

This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

My daughter is 1 year old. Since 10 days she has a fever. From the very first day, we have consult pediatrician and he started Nobel plus for fever four times a day. We completed the course for five days and returned to doctor for follow up. He again suggested for Nobel plus twice a day and started antibiotic syrup. After five days, her fever was still there so we again consulted the doctor and forced to do the blood test. The WBC count was 16000 per cubic mm, platelet count 7.90 lakhs per cubic mm. So, the doctor advised to admit and started antibiotics Maczone XP 500 inj., Macmika 100, Aciloc inj. After three days the same situation, fever was still there so we insisted on a blood test, urine test as well as X-ray. The result was WBC 17100, platelet 7.27, urine report showed pus cells 2.3/H.P.F, and X-ray report was normal. So the doctor revised the treatment plan immediately after having all reports as, Merobax 250 mg inj., E Mal inj., Zydol. But on the same night, we observed my baby's neck was swollen. So we asked the doctor and he diagnosed that it is kind of abscess. He explained that it appeared due to our antibiotic. It is the source of infection and due to that, her fever was present. There will be two options either revise the medication plan or by surgically remove the abscess. The doctor again revised the treatment plan as MeroBax 250 mg, Monocef 500 mg, Tazomac PS 1.125 mg, Macmika 100, and Electrolyte P inj.

#

I have gone through reports and history (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the picture, it appears to be abscess only. Also, the doctor confirms it on examination.

The next line of action should be an ultrasound of the abscess to look for extent. Also, drainage of abscess is necessary. She has enough antibiotics and, fever, TLC (total leucocyte count) not responding as antibiotics must not be reaching there adequately due to pus collection. So the abscess should be drained in my opinion while antibiotics should be continued.

After draining, the pus should be sent for investigations, which includes gram staining, AFB (acid-fast bacilli) staining, GenXpert of the pus, bacterial culture and sensitivity. So if the facility is available there then you may keep or else should be shifted to higher center.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|