Q. My daughter has left side spasm with muscle pull and vision deterioration. What could it be?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 27, 2019

I am the mother of a 15-year-old girl who was adopted. She has no family history and no medical history. She started experiencing back pain in her lower central back. The pain felt like sharp jabs at sometimes and dull at others. This pain progressed to the hips and shooting pains down both legs. She was seen by her regular pediatrician who sent her to get an x-ray of her lumbar spine. The test was clear. Her doctor recommended physical therapy. After starting physical therapy she was sent to a podiatrist to see if her flat feet were the problem. They were determined not to be. She has now been doing physical therapy for about three weeks and nothing seems to help.

She recently experienced an episode where she was sitting, reading in class when all of a sudden her whole left side jabbed and got spasmed. She felt the pain the whole afternoon as it felt like all her muscles were pulled. She also experienced sudden vision deterioration and has just gotten glass for that. Could you please tell us what you think this could be?

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data that you have posted. I can understand your concern being a mother of 15-year-old and facing all this. I will try to help in my way.

The first thing is complete detailed neurological examination is very important in this case. Due to the presence of a back problem with sensory symptoms for some time and sudden vision deterioration goes in favor of multiple sclerosis (MS). If the clinical examination reveals some abnormalities kindly go-ahead for MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) spine along with the brain.

In MS it is common to have such episodes and more on extending the neck and weakness if any may worse with bath in hot water. Other possibilities include dyselectrolytemia, sciatica.

So, kindly consult a neurologist for a detailed neurological examination and discuss possibilities with him and let him decide on further evaluation.

| 

What can be done for post-ejaculation muscle spasms and nerve irritation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been struggling with chronic prostatitis or CPPS for the past five months. A big issue I have been having is the post-ejaculation muscle spasms or nerve irritation. I am currently in physical therapy to work out the muscle tension or spasms and hoping that helps with the nerve irr...  Read Full »

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »

What are lacquer cracks?

Query: Hi doctor, My eye doctor found small lacquer cracks near the center of my right eye. What does it mean? What are the risks? I am very nearsighted. Please explain.  Read Full »