Q. Is surgery mandatory for a muscle tear?

Dr. Wesley Turner
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2019

I suffered an injury in the right shoulder region four months back by falling off a fast speedboat. I was wearing a life jacket and buckles on impacted shoulder and I believe my arm was pulled back. It bruised badly. It is painful in some range of motions and have started back at the gym and hurts when under load on an exercise like pec dec. I went to an osteopath who reported below:

During an examination, there was pain on lateral flexion of his right shoulder. On observation, during right lateral flexion of the shoulder, his pectoralis looked atrophied and unsymmetrical compared to the left. On palpation, he was very tender on his right pectoralis major tendon and lateral muscle belly. I have therefore diagnosed him with a right pectoralis major tendon and muscle tear.

I have just received results from an MRI. My questions are:

What treatment should be done? Should I continue to exercise and slowly build up weights? Would it require surgery?

Dr. Wesley Turner

Osteopathy Specialist
#

Treatment should be very low weight and high reps for building strength and physical therapy would be highly recommended. Surgery for rotator cuff tears are determined on a case by case basis by orthopedic surgeon and usually based on age, pain and restrictions. In this setting with multiple issues on MRI findings and abnormal physical exam findings, surgery may be warranted.

Trauma from accident.

None further - needs ortho referral.

Rotator cuff tear, arthritis.

Rotator cuff tear, labral tear.

Physical therapy, orthopedic surgeon referral.

Continue to lightly use shoulder, avoid heavy lifting.

Follow up with ortho surgeon for surgical evaluation.

| 

Why am I having pain in penis after masturbating?

Query: Hello doctor, I pressed my penis hard while masturbating by something yesterday due to which my upper part of the penis is having pain. There is no scratch on the upper part, no problem in urine passing or bleeding but still paining. What can this be?  Read Full »

I have calf pain for past six months and MRI shows no abnormal findings. What could it be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I used to run about five km and do cycling about 6 km. I got a calf pain six months ago, though it would get normal in a few days, the pain persists, the MRI shows nothing. The doctors tell everything is fine, but the pain is too much, could not even walk for a few mins continuously. ...  Read Full »

Why am I so lean even after eating healthy foods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old male weighing 45 kg and my height is 5'5". My concern is why I am so lean despite of eating healthy foods. Please help. Thank you.  Read Full »

Ask an Osteopathy Specialist Now