Q. I am experiencing twitching on the left side of my breast under my armpit. Why?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 25, 2021

I am a 24-years-old female. I am experiencing twitching on the left side of my breast, almost under my armpit. It feels like fluttering, and it has been happening for the second day now. Three weeks ago, I had a Holter monitor, and it showed a lot of ectopic beats, but the doctor assured me that it is in the normal range and my heart is healthy. I also had blood tests that showed low Vitamin-D and ferritin (taking supplements now). I felt the extra beats before, and they felt different and felt them more in my chest as a single skipped beat than this constant fluttering on the side of my upper chest. Can it be heart-related, or does it sound more like muscle spasms? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Your Holter test is normal (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). There are ectopic beats, but the number is very low. You need not worry about that. Ectopic beats cause a feeling of extra beats or missed beats or fluttering in the neck or cough.

Your current fluttering sensations are most probably due to it, but it is also possible that these symptoms are other than cardiac. It can be confirmed by Holter monitoring. The patient pushes a button on the Holter recorder when he feels palpitations, etc. During reporting, ECG (electrocardiogram) findings and time of palpitations are correlated. If there is a concordance, then symptoms are due to a cardiac cause. If discordance, then symptoms are not related to the heart.

For your symptoms and extra beats, reduce caffeinated beverages, avoid anxiety or stress. If palpitations are disturbing, then I suggest you take tablet Nebivolol 2.5 mg daily once in a day-time.

I hope this was helpful.

I check my pulse and heartbeat when this twitching happens, and my heart beats regularly. Is it dangerous, or should I go to ER? I have no other symptoms. Kindly give your opinion.

#

No, it is not dangerous, no need to go to ER (emergency). Also, check the area of twitching. Does skin twitches are felt with the hand? Muscle twitching are also due to anxiety. These resolve on their own in few hours to days. I hope this was helpful.

Yes, I can feel the twitches with my hand very well. I can even see how the area of the left side of my breast twitch when I look at it. I check the heartbeat with my other hand then, and it beats regularly. Kindly give your opinion.

#

These are muscle twitches, will resolve spontaneously. I suggest you take tablet Baclofen twice a day for muscle relaxation and improvement in twitches. I hope this was helpful.

|