Q. I am suffering from muscle twitching and discomfort even after medications. Please advice.

Published on Jun 14, 2019

I would like to ask about my symptoms. It started with aweful headache for two days. The following week had pain in muscles and bones. Then that went followed by extreme anxiety attacks, burning on neck, tingling in head and face. I was in and out of hospital for three days. Started on Lexapro and Rivotril. Three weeks after having the medicines had muscle pain and twitchingsome muscle weekness. It is been five weeks now, and the anxiety is better but still have muscle twitching and some muscle discomfort.

#

I will be happy to help you out here, and I need a little more history.

1. Do you have any flu-like symptoms?

2. Any nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?

3. Have you been taking any over-the-counter supplements?

| 

No symptoms for flu, vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. Yes, I was taking vitamin D, Omega-3, iron, and vitamins B supplements.

#

My recommendation would be at least get the myosotis panel to make sure that you do not have myopathy. I would also suggest getting a thyroid panel to rule out hypothyroidism. I want you to get tested for vitamin D and B12. Please do not take B12 anymore, if your level is more than 1000 mcg/dl it can trigger panic attacks.

If you have pure anxiety, Lexapro (Escitalopram) will help at low doses however using medication like Buspirone will be the drug of choice. You may have suffered from a viral myopathy. I am not sure what was the extent of testing performed, but if your symptoms are not improving. Getting EMG (electromyography) or NCS (nerve conduction study) of muscles bothering you the most could be considered.

| 

My bicep muscle has been twitching. Is it due to ALS?

Query: Hello doctor, My bicep muscle has been twitching and my leg and arms muscles twitch occasionally. I am super anxious about ALS. I am 36 and postpartum six weeks but I cannot stop obsessing about ALS. Please help.  Read Full »

I am not getting sleep even after taking Stalopam. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from insomnia. I have been taking Stalopam for six months, but I am unable to sleep in the night. I had Feliz S Plus before two years, and it worked for me. But, I was advised by my doctor to stop it. What to do now?  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »