Q. Can vitamin deficiency cause muscle twitching?

Dr. Nene Devavrat Harihar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscle twitching? Is it something more severe as ALS? I am suffering from stress. Please help.

#

The duration is too short for any serious ailment. It is generally related to stress, coffee intake, and vitamin B12 deficiency. There is nothing to worry. It will go off.

Is this twitching common in vitamin B12 deficiency?

#

Yes, it can occur. Do not overthink about this issue. It is a benign fasciculation. It will go off.

|