Q. Can vitamin deficiency cause muscle twitching?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscle twitching? Is it something more severe as ALS? I am suffering from stress. Please help.

#

The duration is too short for any serious ailment. It is generally related to stress, coffee intake, and vitamin B12 deficiency. There is nothing to worry. It will go off.

Is this twitching common in vitamin B12 deficiency?

#

Yes, it can occur. Do not overthink about this issue. It is a benign fasciculation. It will go off.

| 

What are the causes of vitamin B12 deficiency in a non-vegetarian?

Query: Hi doctor, I have vitamin B12 deficiency, even though I eat a lot of non-vegetarian food. A doctor prescribed me New Nervijen plus capsule. Is it safe to use?  Read Full »

How to correct vitamin B12 deficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, I had vitamin B12 deficiency. My doctor advised me to have 10 injections. Now, my vitamin B12 is more than 2000. What should I do?  Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, My best friend has been suffering lately from deficiency of vitamin B12. Our doctor informed us that he suffers from depression and anxiety because of vitamin deficiency. Is it possible? His dad died when he was 10, so I observed that he takes it so seriously when he feels that he is n...  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»