Q. Should I be concerned about my twitches on the right side of the face when stressed?

Dr. Aida Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2021

I am a 44-year-old female, and I experience a very intermittent twitch on my left cheek in the jaw area. I have experienced this twitching in my eye and thumb when stressed, but never in the facial area. I have been under a great deal of stress and suffer from some situational anxiety. I have had a recent blood work that was all normal. I fear that this is a brain tumor or some other kind of sinister disease.

Is this something that I should be worried about?

Thanks.

#

I understand your concern.

Your symptoms are not suggestive of a brain tumor. Anxiety and thyroid dysfunction can trigger muscle twitching in every region of the body, including the face. Too much caffeine intake or insomnia may do the same.

Coming to this point, I would recommend checking thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid hormone imbalance. You may need to adjust the dose of Levothyroxine.

In the meantime, I recommend you to rest, take chamomile tea, and avoid coffee.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

Thank you for the reply.

My recent blood work shows a slightly high TSH level indicating an overactive thyroid. I had read that it could be a hemifacial spasm. That frightened me as well. But I read that it most frequently begins in the eye area. I have two young children, and I am always worried about something taking me from them.

Kindly help.

#

I do not think this is a hemifacial spasm because it will involve half of the face and just an isolated muscle. So, I guess that this is just a little overactive thyroid coupled with a lot of anxiety. So, please try to relax and do not worry about it.

|