Q. I have muscle twitching after being diagnosed with H. pylori. Kindly help me.

Dr. Aida Quka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2021

I am a 29-year-old male, and I have been experiencing muscle twitches along my legs with occasional twitching in the arm for almost a whole year. It started ten months ago when I was diagnosed with H.pylori. At the time, I thought it was just nervous twitches because of anxiety with the diagnosis, but the twitching persisted, and I got really depressed because so I thought it might be because of my mood that the twitching is still happening, so I tried to lower my anxiety and depression which helped a little. Later on, as I was researching online, I realized that I might be vitamin deficient, so I started taking Vitamin D, Magnesium, Potassium, B-complex, and a Multivitamin tablet, and it has helped a lot. However, the twitching is still happening, and now it is occasionally affecting my sleep because of the twitching, so I am really worried. Kindly help me.

#

I understand your concern and would explain that the twitching could be related to different possible causes like inflammation, insomnia, straining physical activity, anxiety, thyroid gland dysfunction, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D deficiency, peripheral neuropathy, etc. For this reason, I would recommend performing some tests:

1) Thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction.

2) Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D plasma levels.

3) Blood electrolytes for possible imbalances.

Nerve conduction studies would help exclude possible neuropathy. If all the above tests result normal, I would suggtest you starting Clonazepam at a low dose to help reduce the twitching.

I hope this was helpful.

|